Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Reasons I love you

This is something I wrote on the day I took my Grandmother to the doctor and found out the cancer she had battled for 15 years had finally moved to her brain. I wanted to make sure she knew exactly how I felt and that I had no regrets ... nothing left unsaid. In the next four weeks before she died we framed it and treasured it. It was read at her funeral.

The Reasons I Love You

Stewed apples .. with red hots

Hot summer afternoons walking down the road .. picking blackberries. You brushing my hair

You scratching my back ... longer than anyone else would

Banana Bread

Coconut Cream Pie

Letting us string up the sheets in your house with clothespins so we could have a "tent"

Standing in the basement with you putting the clothes through the wringer

For not getting mad when I ran through the freshly laundered sheets

Washing our hair in the sink with Prell shampoo

Walking down to the pond and stepping on the snake

For never being too busy for me

Making mud pies in the little tin pie pans

Always having cookies in the cookie jar

For loving my children as much as you do me

Knowing that you would always be there ... no matter what

You playing the organ and me lying under your feet .. feeling the floor vibrate from the music

For commanding the respect of anyone who has ever known you

For letting me put hundreds of bobby pins in your hair and THEN letting me take them OUT!

For being the most unselfish person I have ever met

For being my Goodwitch

Most importantly for being someone I always looked up to and wished I could be half the person you are. For the grace, dignity and strength you carry with you no matter how much adversity life throws your way. I will carry you and all the lessons you have taught me all the days of my life. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have met the woman that you loved, and that loved you as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete